Monday 17 October 2011

Replacing car battery?

This will sound like a really dumb question but please bear with me.



I am going to change my car battery, however, I bought the battery new from the store and it has a plasticcovering which I can't get off as well as a plastic handle over it. How the heck do I take these off so I can replace the car battery?



Also...I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring, meaning I can't access the battery from the hood. I have to take off my left front wheel and am I supposed to just rip the fasteners out? They are in there pretty tight.



Any help would be a million times appreciated, thanks a lot.Replacing car battery?If the plastic cover is just a shrink wrap, use a knife or razor blade to carefully cut it open. If the handle is in the way you can cut that off also.



The wheel well cover is held on with plastic fasteners that you can carefully pry out. They make a tool for them, but you can also use two small screwdrivers to pull them off. Save the fasteners, because you will need to push them back on when you reinstall the cover.



Make sure that you have the car securely supported (not on the jack alone) before you start to work under the car.



The poster who says that you can access the battery from under the hood is obviously not aware of the location of the battery on that model vehicle.
Replacing car battery?
First off you shouldn't have to replace your battery through your wheel well. Just open the hood and access it from there. The plastic covering on the battery is supposed to be there! Do Not Remove It!
Replacing car battery?
Take it back to where you bought it and they should show you how to do it correctly.
well some do have handle bulit in but im thinking that what you got was just for carrying to car just cut them off and yes you kind of have to pop them out youknow id bet if you was to go and look on auto zone site you could find a repair picture or a how to
If the carry strap is in the way, cut ti off and pull the ends through. The plastic covers should pull right off, or have a zip strip to open them up. If not, cut them off with a razor knife. Be sure to clean your cables before you mount them on the battery. They sell post and terminal cleaners at any auto parts store. Clean your cables with baking soda and water mixes like a paste.