Wednesday 26 October 2011

When am I supposed to buy a new battery for my car?

Other than the simple fact that your car won't start... are there any guidelines on replacing the battery? My car seems fine, it's sometimes a little bit slow in starting, but never have I had to try to start it more than once... and my dad checked my oil for me the other day and said, have you ever gotten a new battery? and i was like, um i dont know. I am a woman, and I do take care of my car (regular oil changes, maintenance, and tire rotations/new tires) but I don't know about the battery! I thought the maintenance guys check those things out, but I guess not. I think it was maybe changed when I got in an accident in october 2004, but my dad said it still said Honda battery like from the factory... Well anyways to get to the point (sorry i like to talk) I have 120 thousand miles on the car... is it time for a new battery? ThanksWhen am I supposed to buy a new battery for my car?Wuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllll, It's time to get a new battery, when it is time to get a new battery! GEZZE!! Simple as that!



Love u sis.
When am I supposed to buy a new battery for my car?
i worked at napa auto parts and it is suggested every 4 years
When am I supposed to buy a new battery for my car?
You can have the battery voltage checked at a service station, They will let you know if it should be replaced. BEWARE, if they tell you, %26quot;Hey lady, your battery should be replaced%26quot;, go to sears or a Pep Boys and buy it there. Putting it in is no problem. Bottom line, if you think it needs replacement, replace it.
Drive to an auto parts store like http://www.autozone.com and they will test it and the charging system for free in the parking lot and replace the battery if you need a new one. Most batteries don't last longer than 5 years, and you should get a new one right away if it's that old or you'll get stranded somewhere soon.
Batteries can last for a long time, but not forever. Next time you go in for a maintanance service, just ask the technician to check your battery AND your charging system. That'll give you an up to date report card on your car battery's health. If you find it takes a bit more cranks to turn your car over, get to your mechanic soon. I even think that some of the auto stores, Pep Boys, AutoZone and the like may even offer to give your battery a quick check out for no charge.

Hope this helps.
I generally wait until the battery dies. But the sometimes do %26quot;start a little slow%26quot;. Yes, a little inconvient when it goes out, but not that big a deal.



There is a life expectancy on the battery and in my experience they are fairly accurate. I just replaced both of mine in my cars. One is an '02 auto and the other is an '00 SUV. Depending on the price you pay for the battery, etc. about 5 years is right.



If you want to be pro-active and replace before it goes out, there should be a sticker on it that says taht shows how many years it should be good for. Oh, and when I replace batteries, I get the higher end batteries so it lasts longer, etc. Don't go cheap. I did that once and regretted it as it went out early.



And most auto parts stores will help you swap it out no problem. Just smile for them.



Hope that helps a little.
Ideally a battery should be changed about every three years. Miles don't have much effect on battery life. Some batteries are good for four years, and some are good for five. Usually it will say when you buy the battery.



It's best not to let the battery get too weak as this may wear down your starter. (Weak batteries make the starter crank longer and it's the heat that kills 'em.) A bad battery can also wear out your alternator. As the battery is cheaper than the starter (and easier to change) and cheaper than the alternator (and easier to change) it makes sense to change the battery regularly, before it gets too weak to start the car.



Sounds like you're due for a new battery. Check out Sears Die Hard or other good brands and look for a 48-month battery if you want trouble free performance. Also, many batteries have a little sight you can look at to tell how your battery's doing. These can be well worth paying a little extra.
From the sounds if it, you could benefit from a new battery. Some batteries you have to add water to the cells which isn't a hard thing to do but if you have 120,000 miles on it, you've probably had the battery for over 5 years so it might be worth it to just have one installed.



The fee for installation usually isn't that much over the cost of the battery. I had mine done last at a Sears garage. I think it cost me around 70 bucks (I would have done it myself but i was away at school and didn't have the tools on me to actually do it) Most tire places like NTB also do batteries as well as dealers and other mechanics
So your battery is at least 3 years old.



How are the cables are they in good shape and tight on the post. When you drive do you notice your lights dim a little or not. That is one sign that you battery is not good. But it is also a sign that you alternator is no good to.



I would recommend you/father take it to advance auto or auto zone and have them check it out for you.
You use the light bulb theory. When do you change the light bulb? It may say %26quot;2 year bulb%26quot; on the package, but do you change it in 2 years? Nope. You change it when it burns out.



When do you change your battery? If it has a 3 year warranty, that doesn't mean you have to change it at the end of 3 years. If it still works and starts the car, leave it alone. If it doesn't someday, change it.