Monday, 17 October 2011

If I don't drive my car for 3 days, my car battery pretty much dies out on me, what's wrong?

Whenever I stop driving my car for a few days and then come back to my car, the battery seems to have lost most of it's power, and I can't start my car. I have already changed my car battery to a new one, and it still has the same problem.

One thing I do notice about my car ( I drive a 1985 Toyota corolla), is that whenever I turn off my car, and touch the frame, it gives me and electric shock. My best guess is that my battery power is somehow leaking into the frame of the car, but I don't know much about cars.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?If I don't drive my car for 3 days, my car battery pretty much dies out on me, what's wrong?Yep, you've got a battery drain! Something has grounded out and has made an open circuit in your car.

Now, you can do one of two things. You can rewire the car (good luck), or you can go to Walmart and buy a battery cut off switch. It's about $3. It clamps to the negative battery terminal in place of the battery cable, then the cable bolts to it. It has a neat little green plastic wheel that you turn clockwise to tighten and make the circuit, ot turn counterclockwise to break the circuit. This will isolate the battery and prevent the short from draining the battery. My Mom has a 1988 Dodge D100, did the exact same thing. After I put in the cut-off switch, no more trouble with keeping the battery charged. You just have to remember to raise the hood and turn the juice on before you start the car! It's cheap and easy.... my kinda solution!

Best wishes,

If I don't drive my car for 3 days, my car battery pretty much dies out on me, what's wrong?
I don't know, some of those early computers sucked down a lot of juice. It may be normal.

Leaks like that are hard to find, if there is one. You can start by pulling all the fuses, but that's a lot of aggravation. It would be easier if you could measure the amperage being drained, but most people don't have a good amp meter, and they're kind of expensive.
If I don't drive my car for 3 days, my car battery pretty much dies out on me, what's wrong?
take your car to a auto electrician............... good luck!
Short in your switch or alternator.
Are you using an aftermarket car alarm / immobiliser?

These have a nasty habit of draining batteries.

Other possibilities are lights being left on in the boot or inside the glove compartment..

The electric shock from the body is almost certainly not related.
Hi your battery is dead or dying you will need to change it out

good luck cya....
get an opinion from a mechanice then do the repairs yourself.
All you need to do, go to your local garage ask them to do a load test on the battery.

A good 12volt battery should hold up under load a steady

9.5 volts, if it drops of well below this battery needs replacing

But I should stress you also need to check that the alternator.

is charging the battery ok.

Hope this may help.

As regards the shock you get its just static electric, because

the car runs on rubber tyres some cars get a build-up of static electric, when you step out of the car and touch the door to close it [ snap ] you earth it out and get a static shock.
I had the same issue. I deal exclusively with NAPA and I took it there and they checked the battery with a load device and sure enough my battery was shot. Go there or any other parts store they probably do the same thing for free.
You most likely have a draw on the battery, look for any interior lights staying on,glove box,trunk or hood lights. If you dont find anything remove neg. battery terminal %26amp; place 12volt test light between neg. terminal %26amp; neg. cable end if you have a draw it will light up, if so take 1 fuse out at a time %26amp; see if the light dims if it does that circut is drawing the current. You would then need wiring diagram to see what that circuit is powering up. Note only 1 fuse at a time, replace fuse %26amp; go to next if light does not dim; also most cars have a small draw on the batt. while sitting barely enough to light a test light. Should be under 250 milliamps if you have a volt meter you can use in place of test light. Also look for things the battery powers up with light or meter still in place disconnect power source to fuse links, alt.,starter,anything aftermarket , you should be able to locate draw somewhere thru the process.
Sounds to me like the battery is losing it's ability to recharge due to depletion of chemical resources needed to generate electricity. Buy the cheapest battery you can get if you're short on money since a battery's design is standard. Don't get roped into the warranty scam which increases the cost of a battery that is the same as every other battery.