Friday 16 September 2011

Change bad car battery now or in the spring? Car gets stored in winter.?

I store my Mustang in the winter and the battery recently failed a load test. I typically start the car every other week in the winter. My question is should I change out the battery now, or wait until spring when I am going to be driving it again? If I don't change it now, I will most likely have to jump it each time I go to start the car.Change bad car battery now or in the spring? Car gets stored in winter.?WARNING! Bad advice above!!^^



I'd get a new battery now. Keep it inside, on a wooden bench, connected to a 2 amp trickle charger. Install it to run the engine and then bring it back inside when you're done.



A dead battery can freeze and rupture in the dead of winter. That will cause lots of damage to you and your car if it happens. A frozen battery can explode if jumped, spraying acid all over you. People have been blinded permanently by this!



You could %26quot;pickle%26quot; your engine for the winter, but the previous poster's advice is incorrect. To pickle an engine you must change the oil and filter -- do NOT leave it empty of oil! Then pull the plugs and %26quot;fog%26quot; the cylinders with motor oil. Tape off all openings (oil filler, air intake, exhaust, etc.) with a moisture-proof barrier tape and park it inside a garage. Pull the battery (new one) and place on a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger. Load test it every couple of weeks (an old sealed beam headlight works nicely for this) and check the fluid level and top off as needed with distilled water. Cover the car with a tarp that covers the entire vehicle.
Change bad car battery now or in the spring? Car gets stored in winter.?
Hope all goes well. TFTP

Report Abuse


Change bad car battery now or in the spring? Car gets stored in winter.?
Wait until spring. Why start it every other week? When the car is cold drain the oil and leave the oil cap off. Very little condensation will build in your motor.
I wouldn't do anything. Sotre the Car and when your ready to drive crank it up and if it don't then change the battery.
Change now. Nothing like a jump in cold weathwer with chance of spark with battery exploding. Especially a faulty one. The bad battery puts undue stress on charging system also. It needs a spark to work properly. If battery dead it may burn up alternator/regulator.
If you start the car every other week then you might want to change it now. BUT, keep in mind just starting the car without driving it around will NOT give the battery time to recharge itself. As such you will be putting a drain on the new battery as well. So if you do start it I'd also say allow the car to run long enough to charge the battery back up. The old or existing battery needs to go.
I always take my battery out of my Firebird for the winter storage, and keep it on a shelf in the basement so it doesn't freeze, as that will knock the life out of it as much as anything, I wouldn't worry about getting a new one until spring myself, I would just store it on the shelf until spring anyway.
If its in storage then disconnect it until you need it again.



I usually change the battery as soon as I need a new one. Nothing worse than needing a car in a hurry and finding you have to jump start it.



Some might argue that running the engine every two weeks will do more harm than good. Engine wear is highest in the first few seconds of use when the oil still hasnt reached all the moving parts properly. Then again, if you leave an engine for long periods, the bearings are likely to 'drain out' and not even have any residual oil to give minimal protection in those first few seconds.
You answered your own question...lol ....change it now and save yourself the hassle in the cold garage