Wednesday 21 September 2011

I changed my car battery felt a shock and now my phone is fried? Has this happened to anyone?

I was changing my car battery yesterday and I was wearing a ring. I was holding the batter cable with 1 hand and the wrench with the other. My ring touched the body of the car. I felt a slight shock but nothing major.



After I was done I grabbed my phone to use it and the screen was messed up. I could only see about 1/8 of my screen the rest of it was all black with different colors. Has this happened to anyone? Did my phone save me from a shocking death? Seriously though, I wonder if my phone took most of the electricity that passed through my body.



Please someone explain!I changed my car battery felt a shock and now my phone is fried? Has this happened to anyone?12 Volt car batteries don't have a shock hazard, but do have a severe burn hazard if your wearing any metal watches, rings, ID bracelets etc which mechanics are instructed not to wear while working on a car. When you complete a short circuit through your ring, the current (amperage) that flows is so high that it heats up the ring and can actually burn through your finger. The newer 40 (plus) Volt hybrid cars do have a shock hazard.
I changed my car battery felt a shock and now my phone is fried? Has this happened to anyone?
Small electronics like that can easily get friend by small bits of electricity in places they shouldnt be.
I changed my car battery felt a shock and now my phone is fried? Has this happened to anyone?
a 12 volt auto battery has enough in it to kill you. This info I go from a prof of electrical engineering at a leading university. So anyone who tells you different is wrong.

You were in just the right set of circumstances. Most electricity travels along the outside of the body--the skin.

You fried the phone so get a new one.