Friday 16 September 2011

Can my car break if I change the battery?

I need to change my car's battery but some people tell me that the computer in it (whatever that is) can go haywire or even break when I change the battery, Is this true??? I own a 2005 Chevy Aveo.Can my car break if I change the battery?The only thing that can happen is you can fry the diodes in the alternator if you hook up the battery backwards. This will mean your battery will go dead in a few days of sitting or a few hours of driving.



The computers are disconnected from the battery as long as the ignition switch is off. Don't put the battery in with the car powered up.
Can my car break if I change the battery?
no, no! they are wrong!. you can change the battery anytime!. it wont mess anything up, unless you hook up the battery terminals wrong.
Can my car break if I change the battery?
there is no problem for you to change your battery. Always remove the negative battery cable first, then the positive. the reason being, is that if you accidentally touch the positive cable or terminal to ground, you can short the battery out and blow fuses or fusible links. And as always, make sure you hook up the cables correctly. Anybody can change a battery. It can't be too hard, the guys at Autozone replace batteries all the time, instead of waiting on people trying to buy parts at the counter.
I don't know about the computer, but repair shops have been using backup thru the lighter socket for more than 20 years. Problems with the airbags going off I figure they have cured, but you never know by guessing... losing time/ presets on radio are minor...



I would call the dealership and check about that 'puter. Any wayu to supply power with jumper cables while you do changeout?